Image Map

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Operation Cookie Takover...Nebraska Style

Around two months ago I came across a page on Facebook that sparked my interest.

It was this.


And the more I read, the more I wanted to participate.

What I read was this:  Operation Cookie Takeover is a way to show support to our troops currently deployed in Afghanistan. Our goal is to send 1,200+ cookies to our fellow cookier serving in Afghanistan, Tasha. She will be distributing your cookies to every member on her base on April 10, 2013.

So I volunteered to send over four dozen.  That's 48 cookies for you non-math types.

Then I waited, forgot about it, and then remembered again since I'd put it on my calendar and finally got instructions on how to mail them and when they needed to leave. 

And I got excited.

Then I got nervous.  Because I was seeing amazing cookies like this getting packaged to go over.

Custom Cookies by Jill
And these...

Melissa Joy Cookies
Or this...

Artfully Delicious Cookies
And that doesn't even skim the surface of what people are sending over.

Yeah, see why I was nervous.

So after thinking for awhile I decided to not necessarily send over American flags or little military people.  I went with the obvious. 

I'm from Nebraska.

And proud to be Nebraskan.

And I know there are many fellow Nebraskans serving in our military.  So why not make Nebraska cookies, military style.

Which means making them camouflage.

And that's just what I did.



Outlined in red, because if one color sums up Nebraska it's red.


And then the fun and it's-so-easy-I-can't-mess-this-up decorating.  Just start by making camo frosting colors then start making little blobs all over the cookie.


Then add on the next color...


And another and another.


Then let dry...and re-outline them in red again.


And finally package them up with more bubble wrap than one would think was possible. 

Those suckers aren't moving an inch.


I tapped the box shut because they mentioned that sand is an evil little thing - and can get into anything.  So I thought I'd try to help the problem by taping up the boxes.

Heck, these cookies are headed to Afghanistan.


I can't wait to see pictures of people enjoying the cookies.

Did I mention that the original goal was 1,200 cookies?  Yeah...well...get this.  Operation Cookie Takeover ended up having 11,000 cookies pledged to send over to troops.  11,000.  That is AMAZING.

But I hope that the cookies are enjoyed by people who are making our freedom possible.  A thank you for their sacrifices doesn't seem like it's enough...but I hope they know how thankful I am.

God Bless our Troops.

And God Bless America.

4 comments:

  1. I love the Nebraska cookies! I love seeing what everyone comes up with, and all the different flavors of drop cookies. It just goes to show how much everyone cares about our troops. Thank you so much for showing your support!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific idea!!! So far I've seen California, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Lousiana and now Nebraska cookies. They will be special to the soldiers serving from those states. Thanks for showing your support. --Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I sent an old German traditional cookie... the Springerle, in lemon from Macomb Township, Michigan. http://on.fb.me/13l0d5p

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out great! Can't wait to see what our troops think of all the cookies!

    ReplyDelete